LinuxSecurity.com
Share your story
The central voice for Linux and Open Source security news
Home News Topics Advisories HOWTOs Features Newsletters About Register

Welcome!
Sign up!
EnGarde Community
Login
Polls
What is the most important Linux security technology?
 
Advisories
Community
Linux Events
Linux User Groups
Link to Us
Security Center
Book Reviews
Security Dictionary
Security Tips
SELinux
White Papers
Featured Blogs
All About Linux
DanWalsh LiveJournal
Securitydistro
Latest Newsletters
Linux Security Week: October 20th, 2014
Linux Advisory Watch: October 17th, 2014
Subscribe
LinuxSecurity Newsletters
E-mail:
Choose Lists:
About our Newsletters
RSS Feeds
Get the LinuxSecurity news you want faster with RSS
Powered By

  
The state of computer (in)security Print E-mail
User Rating:      How can I rate this item?
Source: Lubbock Online - Posted by Anthony Pell   
Latest News Andy Kaiser of "Digital Bits Skeptic" had an interesting blog post earlier this month regarding the state of computer security. Entitled, "The myth of computer security," it takes a look at the real state of computer security, not what the anti-virus and anti-malware vendors would like you to think. So what does Andy say? Basically, there is no computer security. The bad guys are way ahead and gaining ground, and the good guys are struggling to keep up. And creating complex, problem causing software to combat the malware. He gives some good (and recent) examples to illustrate his point. And he is one of the few pundits who admits that, at the present time, Mac and Linux are secure - with the disclaimer that most of that security comes from both systems relative obscurity. And that is a legitimate point. Obscurity ≠ Security, but when the major player controls around 90% of the market and is low hanging fruit to boot, why bother with the other 10%?

I'd love to say, "Go out and get a Mac or Linux system and be safe!" But if enough of you did that, Mac and/or Linux would gain enough market share to justify the extra effort required to exploit vulnerabilities that exist in the systems. There are plenty of vulnerabilities in both systems with more being reported every day, despite what some of their proponents about their invulnerability.

So what can be done? At this point no one really knows. All we can do as consumers is keep our systems updated, do our best to understand and recognize the social engineering attacks used by some malware, and be familiar with our systems so we know when something is wrong. And keep up-to-date backups so when something does get in the recovery is as easy as possible. If you're of a technical mind you can run virtual OS's that revert to their pristine, virus free state when restarted, but we shouldn't have to go to that kind of trouble.

Read this full article at Lubbock Online

Only registered users can write comments.
Please login or register.

Powered by AkoComment!

 
< Prev   Next >
    
Partner

 

Latest Features
Peter Smith Releases Linux Network Security Online
Securing a Linux Web Server
Password guessing with Medusa 2.0
Password guessing as an attack vector
Squid and Digest Authentication
Squid and Basic Authentication
Demystifying the Chinese Hacking Industry: Earning 6 Million a Night
Free Online security course (LearnSIA) - A Call for Help
What You Need to Know About Linux Rootkits
Review: A Practical Guide to Fedora and Red Hat Enterprise Linux - Fifth Edition
Yesterday's Edition
Mobile Device Encryption Could Lead to a ‘Very, Very Dark Place’, FBI Director Says
What a hacker can learn about your life from the coffee shop’s Wi-Fi network
Partner Sponsor

Community | HOWTOs | Blogs | Features | Book Reviews | Networking
 Security Projects |  Latest News |  Newsletters |  SELinux |  Privacy |  Home
 Hardening |   About Us |   Advertise |   Legal Notice |   RSS |   Guardian Digital
(c)Copyright 2014 Guardian Digital, Inc. All rights reserved.